About   All Tips   Tips by Category   Tips by Ability   Help!

Before You Begin...

...I'd like introduce this blog and show you how to use it. :)

Being a blogger is a lot of fun. You get to meet new people, express yourself through your writing and share your cute little kiddos with the world. To me, though, it was kind of frustrating. I loved how everyone had their blogs set up with pretty designs. I loved the nifty little world maps. I wanted those! I just wasn't sure where to go or how to get them.

Through sheer trial and error, (and a lot of internet searches!) I was able to teach myself the tricks of the trade. Some things were easy to learn, some I still haven't gotten the hang of. The purpose of this blog is to help you maneuver around the blogging world a lot easier fashion than I did. Less time to figure things out equals more time to read the comments on your blog and enter fun giveaways!

I am simply a blogger who fell in love with HTML and all it had to offer. I use my self-taught skills to professionally design blogs for others. I do not have a degree in blog design (do they even make one?) nor am I wholly computer literate. I do not claim to know it all, but what I do know I like to share with others. When I learn a new blog tip, I cannot wait to water it down into normal language and pass it on to fellow bloggers. I love a challenge and am always on the lookout for ways to make our blogs better. :)

Most of my tips fall into three basic categories: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced.

If you are a brand new blogger who needs help with basic things, such as putting links in posts and maneuvering around the blogging world, then you will need to stick to the beginner tips. These can be found by clicking on 'Beginner' under the "Find Tips by Ability Level" title in my sidebar. Beginner tips can be done without risk of doing any damage to the template of your blog. When you are ready to move on, familiarize yourself with the parts of a blog and proceed with caution. I highly encourage you to create a practice blog to experiment on. Steer clear of advanced tips, which are labeled as such in the title of the post, until you've been blogging for awhile and have had success implementing intermediate tips.

Intermediate tips are for those who have been blogging for awhile and are familiar with the way Blogger works. Basic knowledge of HTML is recommended when implementing these tips. Beginners (and anyone else for that matter) who wish to try these tips should do so on a practice blog first. You should also download a copy of your current template before changing the HTML of your real blog. If you get stuck on one of the tutorials, try again. You will most likely not figure them out on your first try.

Advanced tips are for those who have played around successfully with the HTML of their template and feel comfortable doing so. They are complicated and require that the user know quite a bit about HTML before attempting them. These are NOT for beginners. You can really mess up your blog with advanced tips if you miss a step or if you go into them blindly. If and when you feel like you are ready to try an advanced tip, make sure you create a practice blog and download a copy of your template before you begin.

Make sure to follow these tips word-for-word, letter-by-letter. If you get stuck, (Ha!) when you get stuck, do not panic. Simply go back through the instructions very carefully and see what you might have missed. At the bottom of every advanced tip is a link to another site with a different set of instructions on how to do what you're trying to do. Read through them. Sometimes I find it easier to work with two sets of instructions rather than one. My advanced tips are time consuming and, for the most part, extremely frustrating the first time you try them.

This is a do-it-YOURSELF site. As much as I'd like to fix everyone's blogs, I simply cannot respond personally to every request for help. Every single one of my tips have been tried and successfully implemented by several different people. If you get stuck, I suggest starting completely over from scratch or using the search bar in my sidebar to search for help on another blog tip site. Take a break and come back to it. You can do this!

I highly suggest downloading a current copy of your blog's template before attempting to change your template in any way. Downloading the template will not save your header or items in your sidebar. You will have to back these up individually. I also recommend creating a practice blog or two (I have several) in which to test out your ideas and creations before putting them on your real blog.

There you have it. Go improve your blog!

2 comments:

♥ bfs~"Mimi" ♥ said...

We all appreciate you!!!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

I'm new... you have helped me greatly just in the past couple of days!! (and you didn't even know it... how cool is that?!)
Thank YOU!! :)