About   All Tips   Tips by Category   Tips by Ability   Help!

Using Images from the Web in Your Posts- Updated

Did you know that you can copy virtually any image off the web and post it on your blog? Not only can you do it, but it's VERY easy!

Before I show you how to do this, it's important to understand that ANY time you copy an image from another person's blog or website, you should get their permission first. Proper etiquette also implies that you should give credit to the place you found the photo by providing a link back to it. Use caution when copying images from other sites, and ALWAYS ask for permission. If you are not sure whether you can copy an image, DON'T DO IT.

For example, the cartoon above was pulled from Photobucket. Click here to check out their terms. Scroll to section 6.2

How to copy images from the web and put them in your posts:

1. Find the image you want to put in your post. Keep in mind that the image will appear as the exact same size in your post. Don't copy a thumbnail image if you're wanting something bigger and don't copy something bigger than the width of your post section.

2. Right click on the image and then click on 'Properties'.


3. Highlight the URL (web address) or location if you're on Firefox. Shortcut: Triple click on the web address and the whole thing will be highlighted.

4. With your cursor (mouse) on the highlighted web address, hit ctrl+c or right click and click on 'Copy'.

5. Open up your post to edit it.

6. Click on the 'Add Image' icon (the picture button between spell check and the filmstrip).

7. Click inside the URL box on the right, under "Or add an image from the web" (boxed in red above).

8. With your cursor within the box, hit ctrl+v or right click and click on 'Paste'.

9. Click on the orange 'Add Image' button.

10. Click 'Done'. The image should now be in your post! :)

Now that you see how easy it is to copy images from the web, I hope you realize how easy it is for others to copy your pictures. Soon I will give you a few tips on how to help prevent people from stealing YOUR photos.

*The above cartoon was resized before adding it to this post. :)

Photo Credits:
The cartoon used in this post was found on Photobucket:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/computer%20cartoon/JulieBorkowski/joyoftechb535b.gif?o=13

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Well I have bad news for you -- the photo isn't showing up on the web (it was in the feed though). All I can see is the frame.

Unfortunately, the same thing has been happening to me lately and I'm not exactly sure why... If I go into the post and open the HTML, and then re-publish the post the photo shows again, but then will disappear a little while later. Grrrr.

This only seems to happen with photos that I upload directly into Blogger from either my computer or the web. However, if I upload them to PhotoBucket and then embed them using your process it doesn't seem to happen.

Does that make any sense to you? I'm a "DIY" blogger with no professional experience, so you might understand this better!

Keep up the great work!

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

Hi Jill,

There is only an empty frame there for me too. Perhaps we need to find another source than Flickr - so frustrating!!

K a b l o o e y said...

Can't you just come over and sit next to me while I try to blog? Just minutes ago I was trying to get a weird border off a photo I just posted, without success. And of course said weird border did NOT appear when I hit blogger's preview. Jeez. Thanks for doing what you do, and for doing it so well.

Jenners said...

That cartoon is HILARIOUS!!!

Theresa said...

Hey Jill, this has nothing to do with this post. I am having trouble with the current blog showing up in the sidebar. For instance, I am theycallmeganky.blogspot.com and I post EVERY morning. If you go to the site of some of my peeps in my bloglist... it still shows Friday's post as if that was the latest one. I sent a request to blogger but no answer yet. It isn't just mine but wondered if you had any idea what is going on or how to give them a little shove. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge:)

Pollyanna (formerly the Laughing Idiot) said...

Hi there! I've used some of your tutorials because they are so easy to follow.

As a heads up, Tamara over at Mad Boastings of a Cheapskate Mom is redesigning her blog and I gave her your blog address as a source of ideas and tutorials.

You never know, it may turn into a boost in traffic for you - she's got over 1,000 followers :)

Emmy said...

Excited for the prevention of stealing images tutorial!

sarah said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://carusbcharger.com