About   All Tips   Tips by Category   Tips by Ability   Help!

Creating a Friendly Following

Click here for helpful blog tips!


Like my new button? Feel free to grab it for your blog!

The following tips are for people who wish to form online friendships with other bloggers. These tips are based upon experience with my personal blog, not this one, which is more informative in nature. For those of you looking to increase your following in a different manner, click here for information that may be better suited to your needs.


You have spent several hours creating your blog. You’ve written a few AMAZING posts. You’ve posted adorable photos of your children. A pretty background from The Cutest Blog on the Block adorns your blog. Your blog is AWESOME! So, why on earth aren’t people commenting on your posts? Where are your followers?

It is entirely up to you to find readers for your blog. You will need to do a little bit of work in order to have a following. The more followers you desire, the more work you’ll need to do.

If friendship is what you desire, this work is FUN!

If you want more followers, follow more blogs. If you want friendship, reach out to other bloggers through kind, personal comments and show your email address in your profile so that they can respond to your comments. If you want people to comment on your blog, leave sincere comments on the blogs of others.

It really is that simple.

To begin, I would suggest finding a few blogs that are similar to yours. If you like what you see, consider becoming a follower of their blog. Leave kind comments on a post or two. Most of the time, these bloggers will visit you and leave a comment on your blog. They may even decide to follow you!

FYI: The more comments/followers/blogs a blogger has, the less likely they will be to visit your blog. I would try to befriend people who are also trying to make friends and increase their following.

In order to keep blogging friends coming back to your blog, you’ll need (want- I hope!) to visit their blogs ever so often to read and comment on their posts. Be sure to show your email address in your profile, so that others can quickly respond to your comments if they wish to do so.

Once you have made a couple of blogging friends, I would suggest checking out the bloggers in their followers lists. If people like their blogs, chances are they’ll like yours, too!

Important note:
I do not recommend advertising your blog in the comments section of other bloggers. “Hey there! Come visit my blog…” , etc. etc. It is blatantly OBVIOUS when I get a comment on my blog or an email from another blogger that has been copied and pasted a million times. Maybe this has been an effective ploy to increase followers for some, but I personally find it to be HUGE turn off. *I do believe that a blog address (url) can be added tastefully to a comment, so long as it is accompanied by a sincere comment about the post in which it is written. Promoting your blog should never be the main focus on a comment, in my opinion. :)

You may also consider participating in a few weekly meme’s, such as Wordful Wednesday, Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop and Photostory Friday. Visit their blogs for prompts, rules and more information. Basically, you write a post that fits the meme. Then you go to the host blog and add your link, which will be visible to all of the other participants. There are tons of weekly meme's out there. Keep your eyes open for cool ones to participate in. Fun, fun!

That, my friends, is what worked for me in the beginning. Blogging has taken me places I never dreamed I’d go. It has introduced me to friends all over the world that I would never have met otherwise. It has been an amazing ride, one that I do not see ending soon.

Best of luck to you as you embark on your blogging adventure. Simply do for other bloggers what you would like to have them do for you and you can't go wrong. Have fun and comment away! : )

28 comments:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Nice button! Hmm... have you written a tutorial on that how-to? I'll have to check! :)

And I happen to agree with you on the COME SEE MY BLOG blah blah, unless the desire to do so makes logical sense when referencing something in the initial post, or if asked by the poster.

Just also beware, some of those COME SEE's are spam. I've had links for biz websites. They trick you to think they're just friendly folks and BAM you're hit with something to buy. Not cool. They don't get approved on my blog.

Donna

kaye said...

just a question,

I usually leave a direct link in my comments when I'm playing a meme so that it's easier for people to find my post. Sometimes they don't look for the post for several days after the meme and then without the link they have to hunt through my site for the post. I've had people comment that this annoyed them and that's when I started leaving a direct link in my comments. Even if they click on my profile it doesn't take them to that particular post, only to my homepage. I know when I'm playing a meme with lot's of participants that doesn't use Mr. Linky I only view those who have left a direct link in their comments. Let me know if you think that's OK--I do want to be a friendly blogger.

thanks for your tips, I find them very helpful :)

aggie said...

I am one of those trying to build a following. Thanks for your advice. There is so much I still need to learn. I really appreciate all of you bloggers who share the how to tips with us. Thank you all.

marmielu said...

Hi! I have recently found your blog through Funky Junk Interiors. I really appreciate this post - well, and the other great things you have here. Thank you for your willingness to share the things you've found work, and your friendly manner.
Mary Lou

angie said...

What wonderful tips. I have an email in my inbox now asking questions that are answered beautifully here. Thank you so much for mentioning Wordful Wednesday as a meme to participate in. :)

Whimsical Creations said...

Wonderful tips!

julia said...

Great ideas. Thanks! I've tried some of your ideas already and they do seem to work.

Deb Thaxton said...

-->What a great post and all of it is so true!

I always paste my blog address in when I comment because I know it's easier for the blog author to click back through. I personally like it when others do it on my site too.

deb
www.WebSavyMom.com

Whitney said...

I agree with all of this! So well written, Jill!

Emmy said...

Great advice! I find at times I want more followers just because.. but ultimately, it is those that follow me that I consider friends that I really appreciate the most and the ones whos blogs I enjoy reading the most.

Reb said...

Great Post. I like how you emphasize that it does take work, it doesn't just happen with pixie dust.

Deborah said...

I've been blogging only since July/August and I'm hooked, the few bloggers I have met on line are awesome and my family just doesn't get it. I do absolutely love your blog, it has been a huge help to me, so THANK YOU very much!

Angie said...

Just recently stummbled accross your blog. Looking forward to more tips! ;)

Jenners said...

Great advice -- as always. That is pretty much how I do things and "grew" my blog. It does get harder the more you get known to visit everyone who comes to see you but you do really get to know people doing this blogging thing.

Sharon said...

Thank you for all the time you put into the information you give out! I really enjoy coming back to this site and learning more things I can do for my blog and how to do them!

Peggyann said...

Oh Boy, I goofed and got myself into a bit of a mess. I was trying to change my template. I started clearnin things I should not have cleared. The result being that I erased my followers and I don't know how to get them back. There is still a mention of my having 7 followers on my dashboard, but when I click on it, blank. I tried editing by follers, no luck, should I jst cancell my blor and create an entire new one?

prerna said...

Great advice as always, Jill. As someone who is starting out, I love it when people follow/subscribe to my blog and am enjoying the relationships that I'm forming online. Thank you so much for sharing this and pointing out more ways of increasing readership.
Blessings always,
Prerna

Kortney said...

Thanks for posting such useful and helpful info! You have been a great help to me! Thanks!!!

Bekah said...

Awesome post!!! :) Very helpful, Jill. *high-five* you go, girl! :]

Bekah

gypsylulu said...

What a splendid thing you're doing here, jill!
thank you so much...I have been blogging a while, but can still learn new tricks!
I have your daisy button on my site now...
gypsy

Amanda said...

Love the new button and I have added it to Beautiful Blog Designs.

cinciwickless said...

Thanks Jill, AWESOME Posts. I look forward to see what you post next.
Feel free to grab my button www.cinciwickless.blogspot.com

Just me said...

Great tips! Thank you for sharing those with us:)

Cathy said...

Love your blogging tips, there are so many good ones! I have a lot more to read, so I will be bookmarking your site for sure. Thanks! 

Seow wei said...

Yes, I totally agree what you say, I like your style and the way you do, thanks once again, following you via GFC

Jill said...

I just found this post and your blog through google and it is very helpful. I am new at the blogging thing and am hoping to take your advice in creating a following. Thanks for the tips!

Marilyn Jo McLeod said...

I LOVE your blog and all of your help! One thing I CANNOT find and I've looked everywhere in your blog and in your other lists of helpful blogs and can't find it. I need to know how to change the subject line on my blog posts that go to the email subscribers! I can't find out how (that I can understand anyway)! I've added myself to the email subscribe list and when I get a post, the subject line just says PINK PAPER COTTAGE. I would love it to have the title of that day's post! is that possible?? or at least something different like: the latest post from...." or something like that. I use feedburner. My blog is www.pinkpapercottage.blogspot.com.
My email is pinkpapercottage@yahoo.com. Thank you for any help or if you could direct me to somewhere that I can find the help. I looked in Feedburner too and couldn't seem to find it!

julie said...

Just found your site as I searching for some ideas on "how to get more people to follow your site" and here I am, reading this highly relevant post! I felt like you were talking to me! :)

Glad to find your blog - and I will tastefully (as you suggest) post my blog's link here for you!

I'll be reading some of your other tips also. Thanks!

http://searchingforsesamestreet.blogspot.com/#