About   All Tips   Tips by Category   Tips by Ability   Help!

Promote Your Blog With Pinterest

Pinterest can be a great way to spread the word about a blog. I've noticed that some of the bloggers that I follow on Pinterest have posted some awesome tutorials/recipes on their blogs, but have not pinned them to their boards. If it's an informative, interesting post, I say, "Pin it!"

That being said, you don't want to promote too much. Promoting your blog all of the time will be a HUGE turnoff. Do it too much and you may lose followers. It drives me crazy when I log in and see pin after pin from the same person promoting their own stuff. I do not recommend pinning all of your posts to Pinterest. If I had a personal blog, I would limit the pins of my own posts to those that could be helpful to others (ex: recipes, tutorials, etc.).

If you've never been on Pinterest, you may be wondering how it works. Here's how I use it: I'm interested in recipes, saving money, learning activities for my preschooler and kindergartner, DIY gift/craft tutorials, and blog tips (of course!). I follow the boards of friends who are interested in these things. When someone I follow pins something to their boards that I may find helpful, I pin it to one of my boards. If one of my followers thinks that the pin is something they'd like to check out, they'll pin it to one of their boards. And so on.

Just imagine if someone pinned your post to one of their boards. And then one of their followers pinned your post. And then some of their followers pinned your post. See how fast word could spread about your blog????

Tips for promoting your blog through Pinterest:

1. If you want people to go directly to a specific post on your blog, be sure to link to that single post, not just your homepage. Click here for help linking to a single post.

2. Go back through your blog and pin older, informative posts. Just because they were posted a year ago does not mean that people won't want to check it out. Click here for help linking to a specific post.

3. Limit pinning your own posts in one sitting. Better to hold yourself to pinning a couple a day or even less frequently than that. If you pin a bunch at a time, you risk people losing interest in your pins.


4. Be super descriptive when describing your pin. Sell it!!!!! Oftentimes, people will repin something that looks interesting without actually clicking on it. I know I do!

Examples of good descriptions:
Amazingly simple apple pie recipe
Hand turkey cookies for the kids- SO CUTE!
How to prepare old furniture for painting- SO EASY!
Adorable FREE backgrounds!
Tips for getting your kids to eat their veggies - More please!

Not so good descriptions, unless you pin a photo that visually describes the post:
Check it out!
Visit my blog!
Make a superhero cape for $2! When you include a dollar sign in a description, it put a banner across the pin so that it looks like you're selling something. This can be a turnoff.

5. Choose a great photo to pin. The prettier the photo, the more likely people will be to click on it.

6. Install a Pin It button on your blog. This will allow your readers to pin your entire blog, not an individual post. Click here to get one!

7. Pin others' stuff, too. Don't use Pinterest just to promote yourself. Ugh.

Just in case you're wondering, I have not been asked by Pinterest to share any of this with you. I just wanted to share my experience in the hopes that it might help someone out. Need an invitation? Leave your email address (you at whatever dot com) in a comment and I'll send you one. :)

Do you pin? What advice do you have for someone wanting to promote their blog with Pinterest?

Related Posts:
Linking to a Single Post
Fun Facebook Symbols

Have you been helped by my tips?
Consider sharing this blog with others by adding my
blog to your bloglist or by grabbing my button!

Want to share this specific tip with others?
I would be honored for you to link back to this post!

ALL CONTENT © SNEAKY MOMMA BLOG DESIGN
Please do not copy and paste my content onto your blog.
I work hard on my tips and want everything to stay here.
Thank you for your cooperation! :)

10 comments:

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Thanks for posting. This is good info. I hadn't even heard of this yet.

Sara @Osmosis said...

I've been thinking about trying this out. Will you please send me an invite? osmosis4lips at gmail

Funky Junk Interiors said...

I have a good one.

Before pinning, please ensure the pin you're about to pin actually goes to the source! Many don't and it's impossible to feature them if we can't give them credit. It's only one extra to click to check. :)

Donna

Kate said...

Genius! {As usual.}

Jenilee said...

I pinned your blog... your blog is always a great resource for me!

Sallie said...

What a great idea! I have a recipe someone pinned this summer, and I've gotten 60,000 page views from Pinterest. That's half of all my page views since I started blogging. That's amazing.

Becky@OrganizingMadeFun said...

You aren't kidding! I have had some serious traffic because of Pinterest! I have an old post from a year old floating around on Pinterest and it's amazing how someone got a hold of it and it's spread like wild fire. The thing is, it's one of those posts that you don't get unless you go over to the post to read about it...I never did that intentionally but that seems to be the trick! I also feel like I can pin lots of stuff from other blogs - big and small - and it helps if you have a lot of followers! So, it definitely gets passed around!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.com
Organizing Made Fun

rebeca trevino said...

thanks!
trebeca04@yahoo.com

great post!

kewkew said...

Thanks for stopping by Tots and Me with the hop. I am now following you. I have a question. I am not exactly understanding how you can pin a blog. Like on your sidebar you have the Pin this blog button. I have a button for people to follow my Pinterest boards. But I don't understand how you got that one. And I am still not sure what you mean by linking a post on Pinterest.

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Hi kewkew! You can add a Pin It button to your blog by grabbing the Pin It Button For Websites code on the Pinterest goodies page. http://pinterest.com/about/goodies/. I made my Pin This Blog button myself and linked it to that code. :)