About   All Tips   Tips by Category   Tips by Ability   Help!

Where Did My Sidebar Go?

Recently, one of my blogging friends contacted me with a problem. She has a three column template and her third column had dropped down below her post section. She had made no changes to her template or sidebar items. One day the column was in the right place, the next it was at the bottom of her blog. Weird!

I tried everything to get the third column back in the right place. I reinstalled her template, installed a different template on her blog, removed her sidebar items, tinkered with the widths of her post section and sidebars......nothing worked. I was stumped! It had to be a Blogger glitch...didn't it?

We gave it a little time and the problem did not correct itself. Finally, I started going through her posts and seeing if one of them had perhaps caused the problem. I went to the homepage of her blog and clicked on her first post title. The sidebar popped back up into the right place! Then I went back to her homepage and clicked on another title and so on and so forth until I found the post that made the column drop down again. I went in, saved the post as a draft, and the problem was solved.

What caused the problem? Turns out there was a lot of extra code in the html of the post that didn't show up in compose mode. This happens when you make a lot of changes to your post before publishing it. For example: Have you ever have spacing issues within your posts? When you click enter to go to a new line of text, a code is created that can only be seen in edit html mode. When you delete that space, sometimes the code remains. It must be deleted in order for it not to show up on your post.

It's a good idea to either write your posts in edit html mode or to click to that mode and delete the extra code before publishing. It's sometimes hard to see what code is extra and what needs to be there. If you are not familiar with simple html code, I would not even worry about deleting extra code unless you have a problem.

Hope this helps! Happy Blogging! :)

Related Posts:
Align The Buttons In Your Sidebar
Spacing Issues In Posts
Back Up Your Blog

Have you been helped by my tips?
Consider sharing this blog with others by adding my
blog to your bloglist or by grabbing my button!

Want to share this specific tip with others?
I would be honored for you to link back to this post!

ALL CONTENT © SNEAKY MOMMA BLOG DESIGN
Please do not copy and paste my content onto your blog.
I work hard on my tips and want everything to stay here.
Thank you for your cooperation! :)

13 comments:

Kaye said...

I've had this happen to me a couple of times and when searching for a solution I came across a good fix. The blogger must have posted something that is too wide. For me it was a youtube video. I went in and adjusted the width from 580 to 480 and voila! the three columns went back to where they should be.

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

In this case, there was nothing posted that was too big. Just a bunch of hidden code. Drove me batty!
Posting an image that is too large can definitely cause this problem, too. Thanks for sharing your solution! :)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Good info!

I've just run into a blog post not showing up in the blog roll and have to wonder if it's because of all the editing I did on it.

May have to draft it, tried posting it again but no go.

Any suggestions on that one?!? ARG.

Donna

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Hey Donna! Since I wrote that post, I've had all sorts of inquiries about weird things going on in posts. I saw a post the other day that had an extra < div > tag at the end and it messed everything up. If I were you, I'd open the post up that's giving you trouble, click on edit html, and delete any extra tags that might be in there. I don't know if your problem is related to this one, but it doesn't hurt to check. I hope your issue resolves itself soon!

Heather said...

Please email me! I have a question about your blog! :)

HeatherVonsj@gmail.com

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Hi Heather! I only answer questions in my comments section. Please ask your question here so that others my benefit from the answer. Thanks! ;)

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Hi Jill,
I have a quick question and I'm sure you'll know the answer! What do I do when I try to upload a picture to my blog and it says my picture limit has been reached? So far I've just been deleting pictures, but I'm sure there must be another way to solve the issue. Thanks!
-Jill

surya said...

Thanks for this post. i get lots information from your blog Free Articles - Article City

Krystal said...

I had the same problem with a client once. Turns out if you copy and paste text from a word document it could cause a bunch of extra coding. So if you want to copy text and then compile a post, be sure to use notepad or something, but not word.

Sue said...

Thanks again for all you do! I have a question. I looked through all your posts and didn't see anything about this. I am wondering how do I make a recipe or ingredient list in my side bar??? Thanks! :)

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Hey Sue! I think you're wanting to make a link list. Perhaps this will help: http://www.sneakymommablogdesign.com/2011/09/link-lists-beginner.html :)

China Stories said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as you describe. I did everything you did. Couldn't figure it out like you. But as you describe that it's some coding problem, it reminded me of a post from the day before that warned me of some coding issue that I ignored of course and went on my merry way posting. THANK YOU THANK YOU I got it fixed. I found your post when I entered "blogger template sidebar problems" into Google. You were the 8th post down on the first page.

Foy Update said...

Same deal, my colums were sinking to the bottom of my blog. I had be working on a "grab this button" and couldn't get it to work. So I gave up and I must not have gotten all the code out.

I just cut out the text from the area, pasted it into word and then cut and pasted it back, saved and presto my blog was back to normal. Thanks for the tip.